Photocopy /printing and CD writing rules for Manuscripts and Rare Books
Photocopy/printing and CD rates for foreigners
Library Membership and Borrowing rules
1. The following classes of persons shall on application (on prescribed form) be permitted to draw books from the library for use at home :-
(The application form contains a declaration of intention to obey the rules of the Library and to pay fines or charges which may be incurred through their infringement)
(a) Faculty members of the University, Teaching staff of the affiliated colleges, University Research Fellows, Research Scholars and Research Assistants.
(b) Ph.D, M.Phil and Post Graduate students of the Punjab University and Post-graduate students of the affiliated colleges, students of the various Honors Schools 2nd and 3rd year students taking up Honors in a subject from the various honors schools. Provided that students of the University Post-Graduate Certificate and Diploma classes shall deposit a security of Rs. 30/- which will be refunded on return of books and settlement of dues, if any.
(c) B.A./B.Sc. and B.Com. students on the rolls of the University Colleges and teaching departments, B.Sc. students taking Astronomy and Geology, students of the University Oriental College Hons. Classes in languages.
(d) ‘A’ Class Officers of the University and permanent University Employees preparing for post-graduate examinations.
(e) Trained Librarians, working in the Library of an affiliated college or a University Department and Librarians working in the Punjab University Library.
(f) Approved candidate for a Doctorate Degree and such other casual borrowers as require to use the Library for special reasons. A member belonging to either of these classes shall have to deposit a security of Rs. 500/- or the value of books (if it exceeds Rs. 500/-) refundable on return of books and settlement of dues, if any. Persons working in the Government Research Departments, semi-government Research Institutes, and Heads of recognized Private research Institutes (to be approved in each case by the Library Committee), when they are pursuing any special subjects, may be exempted from depositing the security provided the Heads of the Departments and the Institutes accept financial responsibility for losses, if any.
(g) Such other applicants who are permitted for special reasons to be recorded by the Library Committee without having to made a deposit.
2. A card known as the Borrower’s Card will be issued to each of the persons permitted to draw books from the Library under regulation 1. Such cards shall be strictly non-transferable and shall have to be presented at the counter at the time of drawing and returning books, etc. A borrower, who loses his card, should at once inform the Chief Librarian in writing. A duplicate card will be issued to him on payment of a fee of Rs. 10/- provided that no book will be issued to a student member unless he presents his Borrower’s card in person along with his identity card or applies by post sending his card with the application.
Library cards of all borrowers other than those of confirmed University employees shall be renewed every year.
3. Under-graduates on the rolls of the affiliated colleges, and such other casual visitors as may obtain the special written permission of the Chief Librarian, will be permitted to use the Library for the purpose of reading and reference during good behaviour, but must be prepared to furnish the Chief Librarian with evidence of their identity.
4. A borrower of classes (a) and (g) will be entitled to have in his possession at a time not more than six books. Each book shall be returned within a period of one month from the date of its issue.
Provided that a whole time University Professor or Associate Professor may have in his possession a maximum number of ten books at a time and may return these within a period of three months from the date of their issue.
5. Borrowers of class (b) expecting students of the University Post-graduate Certificate and Diploma Class may have in their possession not more than 4 books at a time.
Borrowers of class (c), (d), (e) and (f), and students of the University Post-Graduate Certificate and Diploma classes will draw three books.
Books drawn by borrowers under this rule shall be returned not later than two weeks from the date of issue. Borrowers belonging to out stations may, however, retain the books for a maximum period of one month.
Provided that the student borrowers deposit a security of Rs. 20/- (refundable on return of all books and settlement of dues, if any) for drawing books during the summer vacation.
6. Any borrower sub-lending books drawn from the Library on his card to any other person shall do so on his own responsibility.
7. Books not in great demand may be renewed on request at the discretion of the Chief Librarian.
8. Books shall be divided into three classes: A, B and C. Class A will include all specially valuable works, and all works permanently or temporarily reserved for reference use. Books in Class A shall not be removed from the Library except by special permission of the Chief Librarian. Class B will include all current numbers of periodicals. These may be borrowed but must be returned within three days. Class C will consist of all other books which may be borrowed and retained according to the provision of Regulations 4 and 5.
9. Books prescribed by the Punjab University for various examinations will not be issued without the special permission of the Chief Librarian. These when borrowed must be returned within three days.
10. Books for the summer vacation will be issued by special permission, and these must be returned as soon as the vacation is over. Books having their due date in holiday or some vacation shall be returned right after the end of the holiday or vacation if not possible before the holiday/vacation otherwise fine will be charged.
11. A fine of Re.1/- per volume per day will be charged for an ordinary book, in case books are retained longer than the period prescribed for each category of borrowers. The fine will in all cases be calculated from the date on which the books should have been returned. Provided that in the case of text-books, current periodicals and books issued with the special permission of the Chief Librarian, the fine shall be Rs.2/- per volume per day. Provided further that a borrower’s right to draw books from the Library may be suspended during the period he does not return overdue books or pay the amount due from him. Provided also that the roll numbers of such student borrowers as fail to return the University Library books or pay their dues shall not be sent to their colleges until they have returned the books or paid the dues and have produced a certificate from the Librarian to that effect.
12. Books not returned on due date laid down under the regulations and reported to have been lost, shall be paid for immediately on the expiry of the prescribed limit of time, and this amount shall in no case be refundable. The amount payable to the Library shall be determined by the Chief Librarian.
13. Borrowers whom wish to have books sent out of Lahore must deposit the present postal charges of registered post.
14. A security deposited under any of the foregoing Regulations shall lapse to the University if it remains unclaimed for a period of three years from the date on which a borrower ceases to be a member of the Library.
15. Readers and members shall not damage, mark or write upon any book, periodical, map or manuscript, nor shall they trace or perform mechanical reproduction of any material belonging to the Library without written permission of the Chief Librarian. Readers and members who violate this Regulation shall be required to pay the fine imposed by the Chief Librarian or to replace the damaged material, or to pay its price as determined by the Chief Librarian. If one volume of a set is injured, and it is not available separately, the whole set shall have to be replaced or paid for. A damaged book or set, which has been replaced or paid for by a borrower, shall become his property.
Borrowers and readers are advised to inspect books at the time of issue and to call the attention of the Chief Librarian to any defects, etc.
16. The Chief Librarian may, at his discretion, reduce or remit the delay fine incurred by a borrower.
17. Such borrowers as abuse their privilege will be reported to the Library Committee for appropriate action.
18. The Library will be closed for two months during summer vacation for stock-taking and on Sundays, and on certain holidays by special notice.